Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
This is a warm spicy Chicken and tomato dish that’s really easy and fun to make. I like Italian herbs and you might like to try Basil, Oregano and Thyme. I love thyme oil but its very strong so dried herbs is probably better.
Chicken is one of my favorite dishes to make as its so versatile. I love the colors in this dish. The bright reds of the tomato against the melted cheese and green herbs makes for a tasty and delightful dish. Give this Baked Italian Chicken and Tomato Basil Eggplant Roll Pasta recipe a go below.
- 3/4 pound angel hair pasta
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 2 large eggplants, cut lengthwise into 8 slices
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes or sub 1 (14 ounce) can san marzano tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh mixed Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- fresh parsley + basil, for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Boil the pasta, drain and add to a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Add the pesto + 1 tablespoons olive oil and toss well to combine and then evenly coat the pasta.
- Meanwhile, season the eggplant with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, cook the eggplant until light golden, 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the eggplant to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Heat the same skillet over medium heat and add the remaining olive oil.
- Add the ground chicken and the garlic and begin breaking up the meat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and tomato paste, give everything a good stir and cook 3-5 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the red wine and milk.
- Season with salt + pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer, simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the fresh herbs, crushed red peppers flakes + parmesan.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spoon about 1/3 of the chicken mixture over the pasta.
- Grab the eggplant slices and place a little of the chicken mixture in the center, roll up the eggplant and nestle it into the pasta and stand up right.
- Repeat with the remaining eggplant slices.
- Depending on how large your eggplants are, you may not need all of the slices.
- Dollop the ricotta cheese, over the eggplant and then add the mozzarella.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and gooey. Garnish with fresh herbs.