Italian cuisine is one of my favorite dishes. When we go out for dinner, I often order Italian dishes. Since most of the restaurants are closed due to this COVID-19 pandemic, I decided to make my version of chicken piccata. It is a good thing to save money while making a restaurant-quality meal. This chicken piccata is a win-win recipe at home.
Everything with this chicken piccata is perfect: the chicken, the sauce, and the salty capers. With the easy to follow instructions, you can enjoy this dinner in under 30 minutes.
What is Chicken Piccata?
Piccata is an Italian term that describes the process of preparing food mainly slicing, dredging the sliced meat into flour, then sauteed in the lemon juice, capers, and butter.
In Italy, it is considered a “second course” or “secondo”. They call it that name because piccata is usually serve after a pasta course. But, in other countries like here in the U.S it serves as the main course but with sauce.
I’m really impressed with the outcome, in fact, my husband likes it soo much that he requested me to make it again the next day.
How to make Best Chicken Piccata Recipe Ever
Chicken Piccata is a simple dish made from chicken breast fillet. The chicken fillet was dredged into the mixture of flour salt and pepper, after that, fried it in the pan using olive oil and butter until it becomes brown. Transfer the chicken breast fillet on a plate.
Does frying chicken with oil and butter new to you? This can be a technique that you can practice every time you fry chicken. It can make the chicken cook beautifully. Since butter has a very low burning point it prevents the oil from burning quickly, on the other hand, olive oil can help the butter not to brown quickly. Aside from that combining olive oil and butter in cooking can enhance the flavor. Try this next time you cook and see the difference.
In the same pan, add the remaining olive oil and butter. Add the garlic, eschalot, and thyme leaves, stirring it until the eschalot has softened. Then, you can add lemon juice, thickened cream, and chicken stock. At this time, season it with salt and pepper, then let it simmer.
Now, put back the chicken in the pan, simmered it for 10 minutes until the sauce thickened, and add the slices of lemon. Finally, remove the pan from heat and add capers, parsley, and more thyme on top.
This recipe is easy, delicious and you can adapt to suit your taste by changing up the herbs or adding mushrooms. Some prefer to use white wine instead of chicken stock, up to what you prefer to use.
What can I serve with Chicken Picatta?
This best chicken piccata can be served with a salad (Creamy Cucumber Radish Salad)
You can serve this with starchy carbs, like mashed potato, and brown rice (Sweet Potato Noodle Recipe). I usually serve it with a fine pasta with long strands like angel hair, drizzled with a little lemon olive oil, red pepper flakes, chopped cilantro, or Italian parsley (Baked Spaghetti). This is also good with steamed green beans.
Some might reason out: I’m not a very good cook; I will just mess this up! Well, That is not a problem if you will follow the directions from A-Z, it will turn out fantastic! Super simple and delicious recipe.
More of Our Favorite Chicken Recipe
You can give a try to some of my Chicken Recipes:
If you will try this recipe, feel free to leave a comment below. Your feedback is appreciated.
- 4 small Chicken Breast Fillet
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 40 g butter
- 2 eschalots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup chicken stock, salt-reduced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 300 ml tub light thickened Cream for cooking
- 1 small lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp drained Baby Capers, rinsed
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped Parsley leaves, flat-leaf
- Salt and Pepper
- Place Flour in a large snap-lock bag. Season with salt and pepper. Place Chicken in the snap-lock bag.Seal the bag and shake to coat chicken in flour.
- Heat half the oil and half the butter in large frying pan over medium high-heat. Add chicken to pan, shaking off excess flour. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until it turn golden brown. Transfer to plate.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil and butter into the pan. Add garlic, eschalot, and thyme. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes, until eschalot has softened. Add the chicken stock, lemon juice and cream. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Return chicken to pan. Reduced the heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and the sauce has slightly thickened.
- Add the lemon slices. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with capers, parsley, and extra thyme. Serve with mashed potato or plain rice.