An easy, quick meal like Fried Rice, is the most requested recipe at home. Aside from its easy procedure, it has healthy ingredients, especially this Vegetable Fried Rice. Every time I see leftover rice, my brain says “its time for fried rice again”! Indeed. Since we don’t have leftover rice right now, I use freshly cooked rice.
This recipe is a Chinese style fried rice. But as you notice, I added a bunch of vegetables. So if you have tons of veggies hanging out in your fridge, this recipe is the best way for cleaning it out.
There are too many versions of fried rice recipe, and I can’t wait to share mine here. For this Vegetable Fried Rice, I used chopped, shredded, and grated mixed vegetables and egg.
Some want their fried rice to be meaty. If that’s what you like, you can add chicken, shrimp, beef or tofu. The choice is yours! For this recipe, I’ll stick to vegetarian. Today I’ll show you some tips to make the Best Fried Rice:
In choosing Rice– choose medium to long grains, that will produce fluffy, firm grains. Day-old leftover rice surely is firm so if you have it on hand better to use it. You can also use Chilled Cooked Rice cause it is easier to separate and diminish the chance for fried rice to become sloppy.
Since this is fiery hot work, put enough amount of oil to avoid the ingredients from sticking the skillet.
Remember not to overdo the liquid seasoning like soy sauce to cause the fried rice to become gooey.
Most kids love fried rice. So, this recipe is a great way to clear their bowl.
And you know what? I’m determined that this recipe is better than takeaways or eating out. Instead of buying outside, try this simple but yummy recipe.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons grape seed or olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large crown broccoli chopped into florets
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 (2-inch) nub fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper optional
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 1 cup green peas frozen or canned
- 3 tablespoons to 4 liquid aminos to taste, or low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sea salt to taste
- 2.5 ounces baby spinach
- 3 large eggs well beaten and scrambled
- Cook the brown rice according to package instructions.
- While rice is cooking, saute the vegetables.
- Add olive oil to the large skillet, wok, or saucepan and heat to medium-high. Add the broccoli and bell pepper and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, cover, and continue cooking until broccoli is bright green and veggies have begun softening, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded carrot, ginger, garlic, cumin, and cayenne. Continue cooking until garlic and ginger are very fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked rice to the skillet with the veggies, along with the green onion, peas, and liquid aminos. Stir everything together well and reduce the heat to medium-low. Allow the rice mixture to sit as you scramble the eggs in a separate skillet.
- Once cooked through, add the scrambled eggs to the fried rice, along with the spinach. Cover and cook until spinach has wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Stir everything well and taste for flavor. Add sea salt to taste, along with more liquid aminos, hot sauce, tahini, wasabi, etc. Serve alongside your favorite entree.